jottings from tertius

views of the world from my worldview window

"If there was no God, there would be no atheists." G.K. Chesterton


SITES OF NOTE

Tektonics Apologetics Ministry
blogs4God
The Adarwinist reader
Bede's Library: the Alliance of Faith and Reason
A Christian Thinktank
Doxa:Christian theology and apologetics
He Lives
Mike Gene Teleologic
Errant Skeptics Research Institute
Stephen Jones' CreationEvolutionDesign
Touchstone: a journal of mere Christianity: mere comments
The Secularist Critique: Deconstructing secularism
Ex-atheist.com: I Wasn't Born Again Yesterday
imago veritatis by Alan Myatt
Solid Rock Ministries
The Internet Monk: a webjournal by Michael Spencer
The Sydney Line: the website of Keith Windschuttle
Miranda Devine's writings in the Sydney Morning Herald
David Horowitz frontpage magazine
Thoughts of a 21st century Christian Philosopher
one-eighty
Steven Lovell's philosophical themes from C.S.Lewis
Peter S. Williams Christian philosophy and apologetics
Shandon L. Guthrie
Clayton Cramer's Blog
Andrew Bolt columns
Ann Coulter columns




Mortgages





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?








Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Blogroll Me!





"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K.Chesterton


"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion." G.K.Chesterton


"As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that."C. S. Lewis

"I blog, therefore I am." Anon


Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Just joking, or are all atheists really this stupid?

 
Via Dawn Eden comes this gem:

In the Finding My Religion (sic) page of the San Francisco Chronicle SF Gate website Comedian Julia Sweeney, a former Roman Catholic who lost her faith in God, talks about how she became an atheist... and vainly tries to keep her sense of humor.

She informs her interviewer, David Ian Miller, that:
It isn't that there aren't wonderful parts to the Bible, but it's just shocking to me that anyone spends their time defending it as anything more than a culturally special book. In terms of really taking it seriously as the word of God, I can't...

To me, the Iliad offers more insight into human character and lessons than the Bible. You know, like Jesus was angry a lot. When he turned all those people into pigs and made them run off a mountain, it was so hateful, not just to people but to pigs. I felt upset for the pigs!

If this quote is anything to go by Ms Sweeney demonstrates that ignorance played a major role in her conversion to atheism. Then again, she could be just trying to be funny...

I sure hope so because this piece of juvenile idiocy about the Bible and Jesus, while typical of both atheists and "former Christians", is a real howler.

Ms Sweeney could try picking up an actual copy of the Bible and reading exactly what Jesus did and note how it singularly failed to involve any humans transmogrifying into hogs. But because I seriously doubt whether she could find her way around the Bible, here is a link from the Bible Gateway site to the passage in question Mark chapter 5 verses 1-20 .

Nothing about Jesus being angry, turning people into pigs or forcing them to run off a mountain...

I guess that's why that's why Dawn Eden refers to the hapless comedian and "serious" student of the Bible as Sweeney Clod...

And why the SF Gate for Tuesday, August 16, 2005 notes that
San Francisco without yoga centers would be like the city without cafes...

Or like an ex-Christian without a clue about Christianity...



Here are some examples of the serious "I just think most people haven't thought about it as much as I have" thinking done by Ms Sweeney.

I have an open mind but it's firmly closed:
If somebody has credible evidence that there is a supernatural power that knows what I think and cares about me and offers me a life after death, I would look at that evidence with an open mind. On the other hand, I can't imagine there would be that evidence.


Lucky for me I happen to be a well-off American celebrity who lives in Hollywood and not some poor, starving, outcast living on a garbage dump in Manilla or some prisoner in a North Korean gulag, where reality might reduce somewhat my creative choices regarding meaning and purpose:
After I stopped believing in God, I realized it was completely up to me to create my own meaning and my purpose was my own.

See!:
Here [in L.A.] you're not defined socially by your religious views.

but by your leftist political views, your celebrity status, your clueless attempts at theology and philosophy and your looks?...


If me and my Hollywod friends can't take it seriously then it absolutely cannot be that millions of others, including some of the smartest and wisest people who ever lived, could:
Well, the most surprising thing overall is that anyone takes it seriously at all

I really don't have a clue about what constitutes "evidence", but it's something to do with science, so there!
I have all kinds of people writing me and saying, "Oh! I'm so glad you are open-minded, because here is the evidence!" And then the evidence is "Jesus is God. Read the Bible." I realize that those people don't know what evidence means. They don't have a scientific view of the world.

My truth is bigger than your truth - evolution proves there is no God, you dummy!:
I said God is this idea of a big man who lives up in the clouds and he created everything. And she goes, "Well I believe that!" And I go: "Well yeah, because it sounds like a cartoon character. But the truth isn't that, and I'll tell you the truth." And then I actually teach her about evolution.


My leap of faith is better than your leap of faith:
To a certain extent I am taking a leap of faith.


So I realised that I was wiser than most of the other great thinkers of history:
I'm adding up the evidence on either side, and I'm seeing the evidence of there not being a God is overwhelming compared to the evidence for there being a God.

And my brother and sister agree, so that proves it!


My reasoning skills have recently suffered a setback:
But what I wish is that people who haven't really looked into it but -- kind of like I was -- have a vague idea that there must be something there [God], I wish that they would look into it, because I think they wouldn't let people who are religious walk all over them as much as they do in our society.

[laughs]... nervously?

8:13:00 pm