jottings from tertius

views of the world from my worldview window

"If there was no God, there would be no atheists." G.K. Chesterton


SITES OF NOTE

Tektonics Apologetics Ministry
blogs4God
The Adarwinist reader
Bede's Library: the Alliance of Faith and Reason
A Christian Thinktank
Doxa:Christian theology and apologetics
He Lives
Mike Gene Teleologic
Errant Skeptics Research Institute
Stephen Jones' CreationEvolutionDesign
Touchstone: a journal of mere Christianity: mere comments
The Secularist Critique: Deconstructing secularism
Ex-atheist.com: I Wasn't Born Again Yesterday
imago veritatis by Alan Myatt
Solid Rock Ministries
The Internet Monk: a webjournal by Michael Spencer
The Sydney Line: the website of Keith Windschuttle
Miranda Devine's writings in the Sydney Morning Herald
David Horowitz frontpage magazine
Thoughts of a 21st century Christian Philosopher
one-eighty
Steven Lovell's philosophical themes from C.S.Lewis
Peter S. Williams Christian philosophy and apologetics
Shandon L. Guthrie
Clayton Cramer's Blog
Andrew Bolt columns
Ann Coulter columns




Mortgages





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?








Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Blogroll Me!





"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K.Chesterton


"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion." G.K.Chesterton


"As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that."C. S. Lewis

"I blog, therefore I am." Anon


Wednesday, October 27, 2004

How the "weak atheism" game is played...

 
...straight from the (atheist) horse's mouth
...although I easily fit the description of a "strong" atheist, I deliberately advocate for the "weak" definition when describing atheism as a whole. I also play the "weak" atheist when discussing theism with a theist - specifically to bring up the Burden of Proof issue. I can lack a god belief and say "There are no gods" at the same time: either position, for me, is true to my outlook. But if I state, in a discussion, that I have yet to be convinced by any god-claims, I am more clearly defining the discussion than if I insist that "There are no gods." So, for purposes of discussion, I am a "weak" atheist: you must make your case with me or I have no business believing your claims; in the privacy of my own mind, that is, for all practical purposes, "There are no gods": this is the presupposition upon which I base all decisions which might be affected had I held a belief in the existence of a god or gods.

Cliff Walker, Positive Atheism

8:47:00 am