jottings from tertius

views of the world from my worldview window

"If there was no God, there would be no atheists." G.K. Chesterton


SITES OF NOTE

Tektonics Apologetics Ministry
blogs4God
The Adarwinist reader
Bede's Library: the Alliance of Faith and Reason
A Christian Thinktank
Doxa:Christian theology and apologetics
He Lives
Mike Gene Teleologic
Errant Skeptics Research Institute
Stephen Jones' CreationEvolutionDesign
Touchstone: a journal of mere Christianity: mere comments
The Secularist Critique: Deconstructing secularism
Ex-atheist.com: I Wasn't Born Again Yesterday
imago veritatis by Alan Myatt
Solid Rock Ministries
The Internet Monk: a webjournal by Michael Spencer
The Sydney Line: the website of Keith Windschuttle
Miranda Devine's writings in the Sydney Morning Herald
David Horowitz frontpage magazine
Thoughts of a 21st century Christian Philosopher
one-eighty
Steven Lovell's philosophical themes from C.S.Lewis
Peter S. Williams Christian philosophy and apologetics
Shandon L. Guthrie
Clayton Cramer's Blog
Andrew Bolt columns
Ann Coulter columns




Mortgages





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?








Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Blogroll Me!





"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K.Chesterton


"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion." G.K.Chesterton


"As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that."C. S. Lewis

"I blog, therefore I am." Anon


Friday, May 14, 2004

Is that all there is?

 
Neuroscientist Vilayanur Ramachandran celebrates his materialistic, mechanistic, reductionist world view while delivering the 2003 BBC Reith Lectures to the applause of the reductionally converted:

...it never ceases to amaze me that all the richness of our mental life - all our feeling, our emotions, our thoughts, our ambition, our love life, our religious sentiments and even what each of us regards as his own intimate private self - is simply the activity of the[..] little specks of jelly in your head, in your brain. There is nothing else.

Indeed "it" never ceases to amaze. Which reminds me of a little song...

I remember when I was a girl
Our house caught on fire
And I'll never forget the look on my father's face
As he gathered me in his arms
And raced to the burning building out on the pavement
And I stood there shivering
And watched the whole world go up in flames
And when it was all over
I said to myself
"Is that all there is to a fire?"
Is that all there is?

Is that all there is?
If that's all there is, my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is

And when I was twelve years old
My daddy took me to the circus
The greatest show on earth
And there were clowns
And elephants
Dancing bears,
And a beautiful lady in pink tights flew high above our heads

And as I sat there watching
I had the feeling that something was missing
I don't know what
But when it was all over
I said to myself
"Is that all there is to the circus?"

Is that all there is?
If that's all there is, my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is

And then I fell in love
With the most wonderful boy in the world
We'd take long walks down by the river
Or just sit for hours gazing into each other's eyes
We were so very much in love

And then one day
He went away
And I thought I'd die
But I didn't
And when I didn't
I said to myself
"Is that all there is to love?"

Is that all there is?
If that's all there is, my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball

I know what you must be saying to yourselves
If that's the way she feels about it
Then why doesn't she just end it all
Oh no. not me. I'm not ready for the final disappointment
'Cause I know just as well as i'm standing here talking to you
That when that final moment comes
And I'm breathing my last breath
I know what I'll be saying to myself
"Is that all there is?"

Is that all there is?
If that's all there is, my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is
[as sung by Peggy Lee and written by Jerry Leiber & Mike Stoller]

Yes, that's all there is, my friend, now go to sleep and dream sweet dreams.

There is nothing but atoms and molecules... and jelly... especially in Ramachandran's lecture...

6:03:00 pm