jottings from tertius

views of the world from my worldview window

"If there was no God, there would be no atheists." G.K. Chesterton


SITES OF NOTE

Tektonics Apologetics Ministry
blogs4God
The Adarwinist reader
Bede's Library: the Alliance of Faith and Reason
A Christian Thinktank
Doxa:Christian theology and apologetics
He Lives
Mike Gene Teleologic
Errant Skeptics Research Institute
Stephen Jones' CreationEvolutionDesign
Touchstone: a journal of mere Christianity: mere comments
The Secularist Critique: Deconstructing secularism
Ex-atheist.com: I Wasn't Born Again Yesterday
imago veritatis by Alan Myatt
Solid Rock Ministries
The Internet Monk: a webjournal by Michael Spencer
The Sydney Line: the website of Keith Windschuttle
Miranda Devine's writings in the Sydney Morning Herald
David Horowitz frontpage magazine
Thoughts of a 21st century Christian Philosopher
one-eighty
Steven Lovell's philosophical themes from C.S.Lewis
Peter S. Williams Christian philosophy and apologetics
Shandon L. Guthrie
Clayton Cramer's Blog
Andrew Bolt columns
Ann Coulter columns




Mortgages





This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?








Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Blogroll Me!





"These are the days when the Christian is expected to praise every creed except his own." G.K.Chesterton


"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion." G.K.Chesterton


"As you perhaps know, I haven't always been a Christian. I didn't go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that."C. S. Lewis

"I blog, therefore I am." Anon


Monday, July 01, 2002

The Manyana Factor

 
part 1

"Scientific naturalism suffers from a strong Manyana factor. The present
inability of science to provide any significant insights into love, beauty,
poetry, art, friendship, belief and moral judgments, provides a poor basis
for the naturalistic claim that all these and more will be encompassed by
future scientific knowledge. Yet despite these present failures, committed
naturalists continue to have faith that science will one day explain
everything."
Dr. Denis R. Alexander,
Fellow of St. Edmund's College, Cambridge
Chairman, Molecular Immunology Programme,
The Babraham Institute, Cambridge, England
.

I thought I would scout out some personal comments, lyrics and poems -
from the horses' mouths so to speak - to see what significant insights into
love, beauty, poetry, art, friendship, belief and moral judgments the
soldiers on the ground out there do actually have. All comments and poems
are genuine, taken from various atheist, free-thinker, rationalist, and
anti-creationist sites. I have added no commentary.


"I don't believe in anything, not even myself."
Carl Fredrik Hübinette, progammer and software developer

"I am an atheist - I don't believe in anything that I haven't seen for
myself. But I do believe in facts... No, I don't believe in Roswell, Area
51, the men in black or Mork from Ork. But, at the same time, I find it hard
to believe that we are alone and I find it harder to believe anything the
government tells me."
Jason Ginsburg on UFOs

"I'm anti-religious, and I don't believe in anything the system forces you
to believe in, but I do believe we all have the right to feel good about
ourselves, and that you should never let anyone else put you down"
'The Thoughts Of A Gay Guy Aged 16'

"i don't believe in anything. well..., maybe something. but even then i know
it's silly to be believing. i am a skeptic. it's better this way."
frankie bausch, skeptic

"I'm a skeptic, meaning that I don't believe in anything."
Jake Sexton,

"There aren't any more believers around. Young people today don't believe in
any god. I don't believe in any god, either. When you're alive, you're
alive. And then you're dead. I don't believe in anything but myself."
Zarig, cab driver aged 37

"I 'm not looking forward to the future. There is only one thing that's
certain for me and that 's death. To be quite honest I was born through no
fault of my own and I don 't like life. I have walked different paths and I
've never felt fulfilled in any of them. After death I don 't believe in
anything because I don 't believe in things I can 't see with my eyes .I do
believe in a force around us but I don 't believe that it 's Christ. The
force can 't have anything to do with humans because I believe that we were
created from some kind of disease."
'homeless man'

"I'm a Leo. I don't believe in anything I can't touch. I have no faith."
Lenny Russo Age: 42, Executive chef.

"I don't believe in anything but myself."
leon, death metal guitarist

"I believe in everything, everything. Yet, I don't believe in anything.
There is a conflict in my head. Sometimes I believe in everything, and
sometimes I don't believe in anything."
Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche, magician

"I don't believe in anything. you could say I'm Atheist. I don't really
believe in God, I believe that you should do your life the way you want to
and enjoy it to the max."
Nathalie, Age: 18

"I claim to be buddhist, I believe in many Gods or Godlike beings. I believe
in ABSOLUTE free will which means I don't believe in anything out there that
is omnicient or knows all or any of that bullshit. It defeats the purpose of
anything to live thinking that some greater what-ever knows how it's gonna
go down. Fuck that noise. I could go on for hours on the topic of my
spirituality I think.. So I'll stop here and leave it at: I'm Buddhist."
Gordon Feiner, aged 25

"To me, the highest goal for all of us is survival. It does not matter what
color we are, what gender or what nationality we are. We are all here to
help the human species survive. I believe in evolution and in science. I do
not believe in any gods, angels, demons or devils."
Steve Hein

"I am an evolutionist. A devout evolutionist. I 'believe' in evolution, as
other people 'believe' in their own religions. Evolution gives meaning to my
life, and to my world. When I want explanations, it's evolution I look to.
Even if evolution came to be discredited as the origin of living creatures,
I would still be an evolutionist, because evolution lies deep at the root of
how I think."
Shaun Johnston

"I don't believe in God. I do not think there is any kind of higher power
that has any effect on our lives. Yet I'm not really an Atheist. I'm not
arrogant enough to think that I know, for a fact, that there is no immortal,
omnipotent being. I just don't believe in one. I suppose this makes me an
Agnostic: one who does not believe in any one conception of God. It's not
an exact definition of my beliefs, but it'll have to do.

I'm almost an Atheist. I believe in Evolution; I dismiss Creationism as
idiocy. I look at the disease, hunger, violence and pain of the world (all
brought into my warm suburban cocoon by TV and the internet) and I can't
possibly think there's a kind, benevolent being looking after jack shit.
There's a shitstorm of trouble out there and I don't think anyone's doing a
damn thing about it. But through all of this, I can't quite make myself
sure that there is no greater Being."
Rex Krueger "Standing between Me and Perfect Atheism"

"I know that we only exist by chance and are completely coincidental. I do
know that someday I will die and that will be the end. I know that it is
highly likely other life forms exist in the universe (after all, we do
exist), however, they may not be similar to us at all. I believe in
evolution, that we evolved (from carbon and sulfer). I also believe in the
big bang theory. I'm 26 now, however, even as a 3 year old child I
questioned religion. I never understood how someone could believe in
something mythical and not believe in dinosaurs or evolution, for the
answers are right in front of us."
Shawn

"I play RPG, Magic, i read fantasy I listen to heavy metal (an many other
kinds of metal fr. Death Metal, Doom Metal), I dont believe in GOD, i
believe in evolution and dino, but im not a satanist!!"
'Funny'

"I believe I'm an artist. I believe I can breed guppies. I believe in
evolution. I believe we're protecting Hawaii ecosystem. I am Sean."
Sean, a sixth grader


On to the music and poetry... /continued

8:43:00 pm